Browse the Collections

by Topic : University and college administration (50)

Includes: college student orientation; commencement ceremonies; universities and colleges -- accreditation; universities and colleges -- admission; universities and colleges -- finance; universities and colleges -- trustees

Mills College of Education records

Creator : Abel, Reuben

1959-1970, 1.1 linear feet
Mills College of Education was an independent, private teacher training institution located in New York City. In 1972, Mills was absorbed by The New School. This collection contains Mill's College administrative records from before the merger.

New School Office of the University Librarian records

Creator : Abel, Reuben

1963-2012, 6.6 linear feet
This collection consists of reports, administrative documents, correspondence, project files, and memos created by the Office of the University Librarian. Although the title "University Librarian" first appears in a 1984 course catalog, earlier New School catalogs from the mid-1970s reference the position of "Library Director" in the upper-level administration. The affiliation of Parsons School of Design with the New School for Social Research in 1970 and the subsequent relocation of Parsons School of Design to Greenwich Village resulted in two separate libraries, the Adam L. Gimbel Design Library (it was not named the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library until 1982) and the Raymond E. Fogelman Library, existing at the institution simultaneously. Mannes College of Music would later joined the New School in 1989.

Hannah Arendt New School faculty files

Creator : Arendt, Hannah

1963-1975, 1.5 linear ft
Hannah Arendt was University Professor in Philosophy from 1967-1975 in The New School's Graduate Faculty (later, New School for Social Research). These records stem from her work as professor and advisor to students, and her involvement with the Tenure Committee. Student files consist of transcripts, writing samples, resumes, referral requests, grant applications and correspondence, among other documents involved in graduate student admissions. Some files are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

Constance P. Brown papers

Creator : Brown, Constance

1913-1961, 0.3 linear ft
Constance P. Brown attended the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (later, Parsons School of Design) from 1913 until 1917, and worked as secretary to Frank Alvah Parsons sometime in the teens or 1920s. The collection consists of postcards and a letter from Parsons to Brown, faculty announcements, school circulars and lecture advertisements, interior decoration class rolls, clippings from 1913-1934, and correspondence with the Parsons School of Design Alumni Association, 1944 and 1961.

College of Performing Arts course catalogs

Creator : College of Performing Arts

1916-2006, 2.2 linear feet
Consists of course catalogs with information about the policies, faculties and courses of Mannes School of Music. Collection includes a limited number of catalogs focused exclusively on the Extension Division, Preparatory Division, Summer School, and Jazz and Contemporary BFA Program, while most cover a broad range of courses.

John Everett records

Creator : Everett, John R.

circa 1947-1982, 22 linear feet
These papers largely consist of John Everett's professional work from his positions at Hollins College, City College and The New School. It includes administrative correspondence, clippings, manuscripts of speeches and writings.
return to top

John R. Everett papers

Creator : Everett, John R.

1947-1982, 1.5 linear feet
These papers largely consist of John Everett's professional work from his positions at Hollins College, City College and The New School. It includes administrative correspondence, clippings, manuscripts of speeches and writings. Of special interest are flyers and posters related to the 1970 occupation of the Graduate Faculty building.

Harry Gideonse records

Creator : Gideonse, Harry

1952-1974, 4.4 linear feet
Harry Gideonse served as chancellor the New School for Social Research from 1966 to 1975. This collection contains administrative material from his time at NSSR, as well as his prior tenure as president of Brooklyn College. Records include correspondence, financial and fundraising documents, and curriculum and conference material.

Institute for Retired Professionals collection

Creator : Institute for Retired Professionals

1982-2012, .4 linear feet
This collection contains correspondence, memos, administrative material, photographs, and printed material pertaining to the Institute for Retired Professionals.
return to top

Alvin Saunders Johnson collection

Creator : Johnson, Alvin

1908-1973, 5.4 linear ft
This collection primarily reflects the activities of Alvin Saunders Johnson during his years as director and president emeritus of the New School for Social Research (1946-1971). The files consist of biographical materials, correspondence, subject files, and writings. Because much of Johnson's work as emeritus revolved around fund raising, the correspondence and subject files largely document this activity. Other projects documented here include Johnson's proposal to establish a labor college at the New School (which never came to pass), and launching a Faculty of Retired Professors. The Writings series includes drafts, typescripts, and reprints from University and non-University publications, documenting Johnson's abiding engagement with social issues, in addition to chapter drafts for his autobiography, Pioneer's Progress (published 1952).

Miriam Kartch papers

Creator : Kartch, Miriam

1958-1991, .8 linear feet
Miriam Karch has been on faculty at Mannes since 1945. This collection consists of administrative documents and personal wrtings from Miriam Kartch’s ongoing tenure at Mannes. Most documents in this collection date from 1970’s to 1990’s, and includes personal notes as well as meeting minutes and other faculty/administrative documents. Also found herein is information on the New School/Mannes merger, and the proposed Mannes/MSM merger.

Mark Larrimore faculty records

Creator : Larrimore, Mark J.

1985-2014, 2 linear ft
Collection consists of Eugene Lang College Religious Studies professor Mark Larrimore's teaching and subject files. Student work in the form of publications and posters advertising campus events are heavily represented.
return to top

Adrienne Marcus Provost Office records

Creator : Marcus, Adrienne

1984-2010, 0.4 linear feet
These records pertain to Adrienne Marcus's work in various New School administrative positions from 2002 until 2010, although she worked at the school until 2016. The majority of the files reflect Marcus's role as Director of Academic Advising (2002-2004) and, subsequently, Director of the Dual-Degree and Joint Programs (2004-2012). There is also material concerning Marcus's work on the Media Bridge Committee, tasked with the creation of The New School Media Center in 2005. Her role as Assistant Provost (2012-2016) is not documented in this record group.

Lydia Matthews records

Creator : Matthews, Lydia

2003-2012, 2.2 linear feet; 7.11 gb
Lydia Matthews is a curator, writer, professor in the Fine Arts program at Parsons and founding director of the Curatorial Design Research Lab, which spans various university divisions across The New School. This collection contains teaching and administrative materials pertaining to Matthews's involvement with teaching and governance at The New School.

Clara Mayer papers

Creator : Mayer, Clara W.

circa 1944-1961, 12.5 linear ft
Clara Woolie Mayer (1895-1988) held a long affiliation with the New School, first as a student, then in a fund raising capacity and as a trustee, followed by a succession of administrative roles, including dean of the School of Philosophy and Liberal Arts (1943-1961) and vice president of the New School for Social Research (1950-1961). Dating largely from 1950 to the early 1960s--during Mayer's term as vice president and dean--the collection consists primarily of subject files pertaining to programs, departments, and members of the New School faculty and administration. Of note is Mayer's correspondence, largely related to teaching and lectures, with well-known figures, including W.E.B. Du Bois, Albert Einstein, Berenice Abbott, Alvin Johnson, John Cage and Erich Fromm. Additionally, there is a wealth of material relating to Mayer's contributions to post-war European relief efforts through the Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe and Foster Parent Plan. Finally, the collection contains typescript writings by Mayer, including articles, speeches, commencement addresses and translations.
return to top

Eugene Lang College collection

Creator : New School

1985-2016, .4 linear feet
An artificial collection created by the staff of the Raymond Fogelman Library, this collection contains records pertaining to Eugene Lang College.

Independent study oral history project on New School history

Creator : New School

2013, 4.34 gb
This oral history project consists of six audio interviews conducted by New School for Public Engagement student Gerard O. Hemmerle as an independent study under the supervision of Professor Julia L. Foulkes. Interviewees consist of long-serving university faculty and staff, primarily those associated with what was known as the New School for Public Engagement. Hemmerle conducted the interviews during the Spring 2013 semester. Recordings are all in English.

New School Adult Division Office of the Dean records

Creator : New School

1959-1986, 20.3 linear ft
These records were created and maintained by the dean's office of what is now the New School for Public Engagement, and formerly known as the Adult Division or, simply the New School. The bulk of the records consists of alphabetically arranged topical files primarily documenting the activities of deans William Birenbaum (served 1961-1964) and Allen Austill (served 1964-1979). Smaller subsets of files document the New School College during the late 1960s and student advising efforts by Herman Eichner and Miriam Fraser Bennee in the 1940s and 1950s. Access is provided to this unprocessed record group, but some files may be restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

New School Associates records

Creator : New School

1943-1988, 16.25 linear ft
The New School Associates was the first fund raising body associated with the New School for Social Research. Comprised of faculty, former students, school administrators and supporters of the school's aims, the Associates sponsored numerous educational and social events and an annual membership drive. These records represent the administration of the Associates from the mid-1940s through the 1970s. Art exhibition records extend into the 1980s. Files belonging to the Executive Secretary of the New School Associates, Edith Jonas Levy, constitute a significant portion of these records.

New School course descriptions

Creator : New School

1986-2012, .8 linear feet
This collection consists of printed course description packets produced by the Registrar's Office for classes offered at The New School, with Eugene Lang College particularly well-represented. Packets include information regarding class schedules, instructors, credit hours, degree requirements, and curriculum.

New School for Social Research Office of the Dean records

Creator : New School

circa 1955-2015, 17.5 linear ft
These records originate from the New School for Social Research Dean’s Office and its predecessor school, the Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science (in its early years, also referred to as the University in Exile). The records relate to departmental matters, including accreditation, budgeting, curriculum development and faculty affairs. There is correspondence of deans with academic departments within the division, including Anthropology, Economics, Gender Studies, Historical Studies, Master of Arts Liberal Studies (MALS), Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology. Documentation will also be found for centers and institutes supported by the division, including the Center for Studies of Social Change (CSSC), the Schwartz Center for Eonomic Policy Analysis (SCEPA) and the Transregional Center for Democratic Studies (TCDS). Routine business between departmental chairs and deans include curriculum development, faculty appointments, fellowships and program accreditation. Records also document events (1990s-2000s); the Speier Professorship (1990s); and controversies over New School president Bob Kerrey's war record (2001-2003). Some files Some files are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

New School Marketing and Communications records (ONGOING)

Creator : New School

1973-2012, 17.9 linear street
This ongoing record group documents the activities of the New School's Communications and External Affairs (CEA) office, one of the university's largest administrative units. It is the successor administrative unit to the New School Publicity Office, and the New School Communications Office, respectively. The bulk of materials here dates from the late 1990s onward, and includes digital photographs, printed publicity samples, posters, and project files consisting of analog and digital records from the Design and Publications Office of CEA. Access is being provided to this partially processed record group. In the absence of a collection guide, please consult with an archivist for further details. Please note that requests for files stored on digital media will require extra time to access.

New School mural commission documentation

Creator : New School

1931-2010, 1.5 linear ft
The collection consists of documentation about five artists and the works they created for the New School at its flagship building at 66 West 12th Street, and for later additions to the building. The materials here were gathered and produced by the curators of the New School Art Collection. Materials include correspondence, photographs, documentation of restoration efforts, exhibition catalogs, and promotional materials.

New School Office of Development and Alumni Relations records

Creator : New School

1951-1992 (bulk 1965-1991), 3.3 linear feet
The three series within this collection represent the activities of the office responsible for fund raising and alumni relations at The New School in the 1970s and 1980s, particularly with regard to special events. The collection largely documents events related to various New School divisions across a range of subject-matter, with a particular focus on functions hosted by Jonathan F. Fanton, who was installed as New School president in 1982. Materials include invitations and announcements to award, sponsor and trustee dinners, dedications, and alumni receptions, as well as planning memoranda, post-event reports, lists of attendee and board prospects, and year-end wrap-ups. The records appear to have been maintained by directors Marvin Rich and Kevin McMahon and associate director Michael Janiak, and by manager of Special Events, Linda Palmieri, and associate director of Development for Parsons School of Design, Alfred Szymanski.
return to top

New School Office of the President records

Creator : New School

1945-2008, 95.7 linear feet
The collection contains correspondence, financial records, handwritten notes, proposals, minutes and reports.

New School Online records

Creator : New School

1992-2008, 4.4 linear feet
The New School Online records document the university's office devoted to developing and supporting online education. The files in this record group cover the second year of its existence as the Distance Instruction for Adult Learning (DIAL) program through 2008. The unit has also been called Distance Learning and is known as Global and Distributed Education as of 2017. Collection is restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.

New School photograph collection

Creator : New School

1920-2000, 9 linear feet
This collection primarily consists of photographs of New School students, faculty, administrators, buildings, class sessions, student life, and events. While the photographs span the period between 1933 and 1984, most of the photographs are concentrated between the 1940s and the 1970s. This collection is a compilation of several groups of photographs transferred to the archives over several years, primarily by The New School's Fogelman Library and President's Office. Photographs depict class sessions, students, faculty, buildings, guest speakers and events, and many were clearly intended for use in New School bulletins and promotional materials. Some have been heavily marked up for publication. Also included are press photographs of guest speakers furnished to The New School by the speakers' representatives. Photographers, when identified, are indicated in the folder title.
return to top

New School press release collection

Creator : New School

1933-1982, 2.3 linear feet
The New School, through a range of departments, including the Publicity Office, Office of Public Information, Communications and Public Relations, has issued press releases to local and national news outlets at least from 1933 through the present day. The New School press release collection begins with the inauguration of the Graduate Faculty in 1933 and ends in 1978 with an announcement about the inauguration of Jonathan F. Fanton as New School president.

New School Publicity Office records

Creator : New School

1918-1993 (bulk 1945-1965), 21 linear feet
This collection largely documents the activities of the New School Publicity Office during the 1940s and 1950s, and reflects the range of functions and activities of the department under the leadership of Agnes De Lima, who directed the department for two decades. The collection includes notes and draft materials for the production of press releases, articles in the weekly New School Bulletin, advertisements and course promotion, and related administrative materials. Also includes materials related to the organization of art exhibitions and special events, and transcripts of radio announcements and speeches. The Dramatic Workshop, École Libre des Hautes Études and Graduate Faculty series in this collection are especially rich in describing the work of these important New School programs.

New School publicity scrapbook collection

Creator : New School

1918-1953, 32 linear ft
The New School Publicity Scrapbook collection consists of fifty-seven scrapbooks compiled at The New School for internal administrative use between 1919, when The New School was founded, through 1953. The scrapbooks include local, regional and international newspaper articles and editorials, and administrative documents and correspondence, course catalogs--or Bulletins--weekly supplemental pamphlets (also called Bulletins), ephemera, promotional materials for print distribution and radio broadcast, and invitations to New School events. Newspaper clipping content includes political and cultural news of the day as it pertained to people and events affiliated with The New School, New School curricula, notable public speaking engagements at The New School, news about guest lecturers, faculty, students and alumni.
return to top

New School University Development and Alumni Relations Office records

Creator : New School

1998-2015, 2.2 linear feet
This collection consists of financial records, auditor's reports, and IRS filings. Also included is a three volume project manual for the construction and development of the University Center.

New School oral history program

Creator : New School Archives and Special Collections

2012-2015, 12.4 gb
The New School Oral History Program, initiated in 2012, consists of recorded sound interviews conducted by Archives and Special Collections staff and faculty partners on an ongoing basis to document aspects of university history that may not exist in other recorded formats. Interviewees consist of New School administrators, faculty, and staff, both current and retired. The conversation topics in the interviews span the twentieth and early twenty-first history, and cover different academic departments and disciplines, university offices, and affiliated institutes. Recordings are all in English.

New School web archive collection

Creator : New School Archives and Special Collections

2016-2018, 215.4 gb
The New School Web Archive Collection consists of New School websites captured using the Internet Archive's web archiving software, Archive-It. The websites collected are continuous with material held by the New School Archives in analog and other digital formats. The websites collected here document public relations, events such as exhibitions, and public-facing publications. With the exception of The New School Labor Relations webpage, there are, as of 2018, no administrative sites contained herein. Contents include websites related to university news and updates; critical, arts, and literary journals associated with university departments; exhibitions held at, or affiliated with, The New School; and websites documenting labor organizing and relations on campus. Due to the size of the collection, the techniques and tools of web harvesting, and the evolving nature of the Internet, some websites have been crawled more comprehensively than others and are represented more faithfully than others.
return to top

Parsons School of Design academic departments, programs and schools (ONGOING)

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1974-2016, 3 linear feet
Collection contains materials created by academic departments of Parsons School of Design.

Parsons School of Design administrative and other offices collection (pre-2008 accessions)

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1909-2007 (bulk 1973-1999), 17 linear ft
Predominantly comprised of records produced by the Development Office, these papers document fund raising initiatives, special programs, events, and alumni reunion plans. Other offices represented in this group are Admissions, Alumni Relations, Career Services, Public Relations, and Publication Design, Special Events, and Student Council publications. Also includes provisional charter for the New York School of Fine and Applied Art, 1909.

Parsons School of Design course catalog collection

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1896-2012, 9 linear ft
The Parsons course catalogs collection consists of publications from Parsons New School of Design and its affiliate programs, including catalogs for overseas schools, and continuing education and AAS programs. Catalogs include information regarding pedagogy objectives, school policies and admissions requirements, departmental and course descriptions, faculty and administration rosters, facilities, fees, and examples of student work. Materials for the years 1896-1912 consists primarily of photocopies of print advertisements for the Chase School of Art (which became the New York School of Art, then the New York School of Fine and Applied Art, and, later, Parsons School of Design).
return to top

Parsons School of Design course description collection

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1984-2006, 1.4 linear ft
Consists of photocopied course description packets produced by the Registrar's Office for classes offered at Parsons School of Design. Packets include information regarding class schedules, instructors, credit hours, degree requirements, and curriculum.

Parsons School of Design governance collection

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1912-2003, 1.5 linear ft
Prior to 1970, when Parsons School of Design existed as an independent entity, it was headed by a president and a powerful Board of Trustees. Upon the merger of Parsons with The New School, legal authority transferred to a central Board of Trustees for The New School and the Parsons board became a Board of Overseers. The collection includes minutes and reports from before and after the merger with The New School. Subjects frequently addressed include financial expenditures and development, institutional growth, department curriculum, student achievement, and implementation of new technologies.

Parsons School of Design handbooks and orientation materials collection (pre-2008 accessions)

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1968-2007, undated, 3.3 linear ft
Contains handbooks and guides issued by the administration of Parsons School of Design and The New School to familiarize Parsons faculty, students, and students' families with school regulations, policies, and procedures. Also includes materials designed to acquaint students with aspects of living and studying in New York City.
return to top

Parsons School of Design Office of the President records

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1952-1970, 14.5 linear feet
Consists of records created and received by Sterling A. Callisen, President of Parsons School of Design from 1959 until 1963, and Francis A. Ruzicka, president of Parsons School of Design from 1963 until his resignation in 1969. The collection contains correspondence, financial records, handwritten notes, proposals, minutes and reports circulated between Presidents Callisen and Ruzicka and the Parsons School of Design Board of Trustees. Prior to Parsons School of Design's affiliation with the New School for Social Research, the school was governed by a president and a powerful board of trustees. Frank Alvah Parsons served as president for many years and was succeeded by William M. Odom in 1930 following Parsons' death. Odom, too, served until his death in 1940, at which time Van Day Truex assumed the school's presidency. Both Odom and Truex were Parsons School of Design alumni. Following Truex as president were Pierre Bedard, Sterling A. Callisen, and Francis A. Ruzicka, none of whom were alumni. Callisen was formerly a trustee and Ruzicka was a faculty member. When Parsons School of Design became a part of the New School for Social Research in early 1970, the role of dean took on greater significance.

Parsons School of Design realia (ONGOING)

Creator : Parsons School of Design

2013, 1 item
This ongoing collection consists of Parsons realia, and currently consists of a School of Fashion t-shirt with the inscription "You Never Leave Parsons".

Parsons School of Design Alumni Association records

Creator : Parsons School of Design. Alumni Association.

1920-1970, 16 linear ft
The Parsons School of Design Alumni Association was incorporated in 1952 and continued until Parsons School of Design merged into the New School for Social Research in 1970. Records contain correspondence, financial records, minutes, photographic materials, printed materials, scrapbooks of clippings and subject files. Also includes documents generated by earlier alumni associations that the Alumni Association incorporated into its working files.
return to top

David C. Levy records

Creator : Parsons School of Design. Office of the Dean

1952-1990, 7 linear ft
David Corcos Levy served as dean of Parsons School of Design from 1970 until 1989. The bulk of these records were generated between 1970 and 1984, after the merger of Parsons and the New School for Social Research, and consist of memos, correspondence, reports, and subject files related to Levy's administrative tenure. Correspondents include a range of New School and Parsons administrators, including New School president John R. Everett; New School dean Allen Austill; Albert Landa; Oscar Kolin, chair of the Helena Rubinstein Foundation and a member of the Parsons Board of Overseers; and Neil Hoffman, dean of the Otis Art Institute of Parsons School of Design. Frequent faculty correspondents include Martica Sawin, Mary Ann Scherr, John Russo, and Irwin Touster. Categories and subjects represented herein include developing and implementing new degree programs; the process of merging academic institutions, including the Otis Art Institute in Los Angeles; faculty relations and unionization; accreditation; program and department establishment and design; and fundraising activities. Also found here are materials created by the Parsons Board of Trustees and, after the merger, the New School Board of Overseers.

Lesley Cadman records

Creator : Parsons School of Design. Office of the Dean

1976-2007 (bulk 1982-2001), 3.3 linear ft
The Lesley Cadman records were created or received by Lesley Cadman during her term as vice dean of Parsons School of Design. Some records pre-date Cadman's arrival at Parsons. Documents from one file are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details

Parsons School of Design Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library records (pre-2011 accessions)

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design. Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library.

1957-2009, 9.1 linear feet
The records of the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library of Parsons The New School for Design consist of administrative files generated by library administrators and school executives. Topics include library collections, facilities, fund raising, instruction, policies and procedures, and staffing, as well as the library's role in school acceditation. While the earliest records document the library's activities in the late 1950s, the bulk of the records dates from the period after Parsons re-located from East 54th Street to 66 Fifth Avenue in 1972. The earliest mention of a library appears in the 1922-1923 New York School of Fine and Applied Art course catalog. In addition to reference books in English and in French, the library also advertised photographic plates and lantern slides for the study of costume and interior design as well as a materials library. Mary E. Herrick, a "trained librarian," appears on the catalog's faculty page as Librarian and Museum Director. In successive decades, the school advertised the library's growing collections of periodicals, rare books, visual materials, and archival collections in the catalog and continued to list library administrators in the rank of school faculty. In 1970, Parsons School of Design became affiliated with the New School for Social Research and in the following years transferred its operations from its East 54th Street location to 66 Fifth Avenue in Greenwich Village. In 1974, the library moved to its present location on the second floor of 2 West 13th Street, and the previously unnamed library was dedicated as the Adam L. Gimbel Design Library in honor of a gift from the family of the Saks Fifth Avenue executive. In 1982, it was rededicated as the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library following a fundraising initiative headed by Sophie Gimbel's son Jay Rossbach and Saks executive Helen O'Hagan.
return to top

Parsons School of Design Fashion Design Department records (pre-2008 accessions)

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design. Fashion Design Dept.

1941-2008, undated, 148 linear ft
Contains the records of the Fashion Design Department of Parsons The New School for Design. Records include course syllabi and descriptions, look books, clippings scrapbooks, student work, and annual fashion benefit planning records, photographs, and programs. A name index for searching Parsons alumni and faculty in the clippings scrapbooks may be found at http://guides.library.newschool.edu/index.

Parsons School of Design School of Fashion records

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design. Fashion Design Dept.

1900-2017, 1 linear feet
This collection contains material pertaining to the Parsons School of Design School of Fashion. Records include photos, collages, posters, publications, publicity material, student work, and dolls. The materials are both analog and on CD/DVD.

Milano School of International Affairs, Management and Urban Policy collection

Creator : Robert J. Milano Graduate School of Management and Urban Policy

1966-2013, 4.8 linear ft
Includes materials created by the school now known as Milano as well as by its predecessor entities, the Center for New York City Affairs, the J. M. Kaplan Center, etc. Includes Community Development Research Center (CDRC) papers and Milano Management Information Exchange papers, among other materials.
return to top

Ann Snitow faculty records

Creator : Snitow, Ann Barr

1986-2012, 1 linear ft
Records kept by New School faculty member Ann Snitow, largely documenting her activities in connection with the evolving status of gender studies courses and programs at The New School at the graduate and undergraduate level.

New School Art Collection records

Creator : The New School Art Collection

1987-2003, 3.8 linear ft
The collection consists primarily of the files of Kathleen Goncharov, curator of the New School Art Collection from 1987 to 2000. Some committee files here were created in 1986 and a few files date from after 2000. Those files dating after the summer of 2000 were likely not created by Goncharov; they may have been created by her successor, Stefano Basilico. There are two main series, Administration and governance, and Programming. The first series contains materials related to New School Art Collection policies and committees, the acquisition and sale of artwork, inventories and installation of work, collaborations with the Vera List Center for Art and Politics, grant proposals, and other administrative files. The series also includes files related to special programs and events from around the New School. The Programming series contains documentation of events, talks, exhibitions and public programs initiated and organized by Goncharov at the New School. The series also includes documentation of activities proposed by Goncharov and Sondra Farganis for the DIAL (Distance Instruction for Adult Learning) platform.
return to top