Archives & Special Collections

Browse the Collections

by Topic : Fund raising (16)

Includes: cocktail parties; educational fund raising

Malcolm Carter University Communications records

Creator : Carter, Malcolm

1975-1989 (bulk 1985-1987), 2 linear ft.
Malcolm Carter became director of The New School's university communications in 1985. The Malcolm Carter University Communications records document the three primary areas of activity over which Carter had oversight: advertising and marketing; public relations; and publications. Materials include memoranda, letters, reports, and printed materials, encompassing the range of Carter's activities.

Harry Gideonse records

Creator : Gideonse, Harry

1952-1974, 4.4 linear feet
Harry Gideonse served as chancellor the New School for Social Research from 1966 to 1975. This collection contains administrative material from his time at NSSR, as well as his prior tenure as president of Brooklyn College. Records include correspondence, financial and fundraising documents, and curriculum and conference material.

Alvin Johnson letters to Dannie Heineman

Creator : Johnson, Alvin

1951-1961, 0.1 linear ft
Consists of handwritten and typed letters from Dr. Alvin Johnson, President Emeritus of the New School for Social Research, to philanthropist Dannie N. Heineman and carbon copies of some of Heineman's replies.
return to top

Albert Landa records

Creator : Landa, Albert

1933-1985 (bulk 1963-1985), 11 linear feet
Consists of records generated by Albert Landa (1927-2008), who started in 1960 as director of Public Information and became vice president of Development and Public Relations at The New School, and then held the title of Vice President, until he retired in 1985. The records in this collection are notable because Landa was deeply involved in a rapid expansion of the university, overseeing the launch of the Center for New York City Affairs, the merger of Parsons School of Design with The New School, and leading the merger of the Otis Art Institute of Los Angeles with Parsons. The collection is comprised of six series, representing activities related to most of the major divisions and institutes of the university. Materials relate primarily to the development of new programs, building projects, fund raising, and public relations. Some documents in this collection are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for further information.

New School Associates records

Creator : New School

1943-1988, 16.25 linear ft
The New School Associates was the first fund raising body associated with the New School for Social Research. Comprised of faculty, former students, school administrators and supporters of the school's aims, the Associates sponsored numerous educational and social events and an annual membership drive. These records represent the administration of the Associates from the mid-1940s through the 1970s. Art exhibition records extend into the 1980s. Files belonging to the Executive Secretary of the New School Associates, Edith Jonas Levy, constitute a significant portion of these records.

New School Development and Public Relations Office records

Creator : New School

1926-1967 (bulk 1946-1960), 6.6 linear feet
The collection consists of records originating from the offices of Mary Urban, who coordinated fund raising and public relations efforts at the New School in the 1940s and early 1950s, and that of her successor, Margarete Westmann, director of Development from 1958-1962. Materials include memoranda and correspondence, financial statements, budgets, advertising contracts, donor and prospect records, New School Associates membership records, event planning materials and invitations, fund raising appeals, minutes, reports, promotional materials, and records documenting the work of the Scholarship Committee and the Graduate Faculty Alumni Association. Part of one file is restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

New School Office of Development and Alumni Relations records

Creator : New School

1951-1992 (bulk 1965-1991), 3.3 linear feet
The three series within this collection represent the activities of the office responsible for fund raising and alumni relations at The New School in the 1970s and 1980s, particularly with regard to special events. The collection largely documents events related to various New School divisions across a range of subject-matter, with a particular focus on functions hosted by Jonathan F. Fanton, who was installed as New School president in 1982. Materials include invitations and announcements to award, sponsor and trustee dinners, dedications, and alumni receptions, as well as planning memoranda, post-event reports, lists of attendee and board prospects, and year-end wrap-ups. The records appear to have been maintained by directors Marvin Rich and Kevin McMahon and associate director Michael Janiak, and by manager of Special Events, Linda Palmieri, and associate director of Development for Parsons School of Design, Alfred Szymanski.

New School Publicity Office records

Creator : New School

1918-1993 (bulk 1945-1965), 21 linear feet
This collection largely documents the activities of the New School Publicity Office during the 1940s and 1950s, and reflects the range of functions and activities of the department under the leadership of Agnes De Lima, who directed the department for two decades. The collection includes notes and draft materials for the production of press releases, articles in the weekly New School Bulletin, advertisements and course promotion, and related administrative materials. Also includes materials related to the organization of art exhibitions and special events, and transcripts of radio announcements and speeches. The Dramatic Workshop, École Libre des Hautes Études and Graduate Faculty series in this collection are especially rich in describing the work of these important New School programs.

Parsons School of Design academic departments, programs and schools

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1974-2016, 3 linear feet
Collection contains materials created by academic departments of Parsons School of Design.
return to top

Parsons School of Design administrative and other offices collection (pre-2008 accessions)

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1909-2007 (bulk 1973-1999), 17 linear ft
Predominantly comprised of records produced by the Development Office, these papers document fund raising initiatives, special programs, events, and alumni reunion plans. Other offices represented in this group are Admissions, Alumni Relations, Career Services, Public Relations, and Publication Design, Special Events, and Student Council publications. Also includes provisional charter for the New York School of Fine and Applied Art, 1909.

Parsons School of Design Office of the President records

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1952-1970, 14.5 linear feet
Consists of records created and received by Sterling A. Callisen, President of Parsons School of Design from 1959 until 1963, and Francis A. Ruzicka, president of Parsons School of Design from 1963 until his resignation in 1969. The collection contains correspondence, financial records, handwritten notes, proposals, minutes and reports circulated between Presidents Callisen and Ruzicka and the Parsons School of Design Board of Trustees. Prior to Parsons School of Design's affiliation with the New School for Social Research, the school was governed by a president and a powerful board of trustees. Frank Alvah Parsons served as president for many years and was succeeded by William M. Odom in 1930 following Parsons' death. Odom, too, served until his death in 1940, at which time Van Day Truex assumed the school's presidency. Both Odom and Truex were Parsons School of Design alumni. Following Truex as president were Pierre Bedard, Sterling A. Callisen, and Francis A. Ruzicka, none of whom were alumni. Callisen was formerly a trustee and Ruzicka was a faculty member. When Parsons School of Design became a part of the New School for Social Research in early 1970, the role of dean took on greater significance.

Parsons School of Design Alumni Association records

Creator : Parsons School of Design. Alumni Association.

1920-1970, 16 linear ft
The Parsons School of Design Alumni Association was incorporated in 1952 and continued until Parsons School of Design merged into the New School for Social Research in 1970. Records contain correspondence, financial records, minutes, photographic materials, printed materials, scrapbooks of clippings and subject files. Also includes documents generated by earlier alumni associations that the Alumni Association incorporated into its working files.
return to top

Parsons School of Design Office of the Executive Dean records

Creator : Parsons School of Design. Office of the Dean

1995-2013, 2.2 linear feet
This collection contains the records of the Office of the Executive Dean of Parsons School of Design. Included are correspondence, memos, reports, clippings and press releases, syllabi and other curriculum and course-related material, and printed promotional material. The material was created throughout the tenure of four Parsons deans, including H. Randolph Swearer 1998-2004), Paul Goldberger (2004-2006), Timothy Marshall (2006-2009), and Joel Towers (2009-2018).

Laura Johnson collection

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design

1958-1998, 0.4 linear ft
Laura Johnson (died 2002) was a New York City socialite and wife of Saks Fifth Avenue executive F. Raymond Johnson. The collection is primarily comprised of photographic prints and press clippings documenting her extensive wardrobe of couture clothing and active social life between the 1950s and late 1990s.

Parsons School of Design Fashion Design Department audiovisual collection

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design. Fashion Design Dept.

1963-2003, 41 cassettes
This collection primarily consists of documentary and promotional footage related to the Parsons School of Design Fashion Design Department's annual benefit and runway show, including the preliminary jury show where designs are selected to be included in the runway show. Also included is a small amount of Fashion Design Department related audiovisual material not directly connected to the annual benefit and fashion show. Originally named the Chase School of Art, Parsons School of Design was founded in 1896 by American Impressionist painter William Merritt Chase with a focus on the fine arts: painting, drawing, and sculpture. Two years after its founding, the school changed its name to the New York School of Art. In 1907, Frank Alvah Parsons became an administrator at the school and made design an important part of the educational mission. He introduced the first full professional departments in interior design, fashion design, and graphic design. To recognize the growth of the design curriculum, the school was renamed the New York School of Fine and Applied Art in 1909. In honor of Mr. Parsons, who was important in steering the school's development and in shaping arts education through his theories about linking art and industry, the institution became Parsons School of Design in 1941. It became a division of the New School for Social Research in 1970. The school offered courses in fashion design, then called "costume design," as early as 1904. Frank Alvah Parsons enlarged upon these courses to create a full professional department in 1907. Over the next four decades, its name was changed several times as follows: Costume or Clothes Design (1918), Costume Design and Costume Illustration (1921), Costume Design (1922), Costume Design and Costume Illustration (1923), Costume Design and Costume Construction (1925), Costume Design and Construction (1927), Costume Design, Construction and Illustration (1928), Costume Design and Illustration (1937). In 1954, the department was divided to form the Fashion Design Department and the Fashion Illustration Department. As of 2016, Parsons School of Design's School of Fashion offers AAS, BFA, and MFA degrees. In the early twentieth century, the school’s fashion curriculum focused on the creation of sketches, which could be sold to manufacturers. Then, in 1915, the students not only sketched but began working with fabric and producing finished garments. In its current incarnation, the School of Fashion places an emphasis on understanding the entirety of the design process from the initial concept to the final product and its marketing. The curriculum seeks to educate students on the fundamentals of good design, as well as to develop essential skills specific to fashion design, such as model drawing and pattern drafting, which are applied to real-life design problems. Students also research the historical purposes and implementations of fashion design, study business practices, and investigate the commercial impact on the profession. In 1919, to supplement the core group of instructors, the department initiated a program to invite stellar designers to critique student work. By 1954, juniors and seniors were working under the close supervision of special visiting critics to design and create garments. The department’s curriculum was revised in 2001, such that the critic mentorship program was confined to the junior year, while seniors worked independently to produce a thesis collection which exhibited their own individual style. Notable fashion designers who have attended, although not necessarily graduated from Parsons School of Design include Gilbert Adrian (1923), Claire McCardell (1928), Donald Brooks (1950), Willi Smith (1969), Donna Karan (1969), Anna Sui (1973), Isaac Mizrahi (1982), Marc Jacobs (1984), Tracy Reese (1984), Mark Badgley (1985), James Mischka (1985), Derek Lam (1990), Narciso Rodriguez (1991), Behnaz Sarafpour (1992), Peter Som (1997), Lazaro Hernandez (2002), and Jack McCollough (2002).
return to top

Parsons School of Design Fashion Design Department records (pre-2008 accessions)

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design. Fashion Design Dept.

1941-2008, undated, 148 linear ft
Contains the records of the Fashion Design Department of Parsons The New School for Design. Records include course syllabi and descriptions, look books, clippings scrapbooks, student work, and annual fashion benefit planning records, photographs, and programs. A name index for searching Parsons alumni and faculty in the clippings scrapbooks may be found at http://guides.library.newschool.edu/index.
return to top