Browse the Collections

by Topic : Adult education (21)

Includes: continuing education; workshops; workshops in art

Allen Austill records

Creator : Austill, Allen

1957-1989, 3 linear feet
Allen Austill (1927-2016) joined the New School in 1962. In 1965 he was appointed dean of the Adult Division and remained in this position for most of his career at the institution. In 1987, he was named chancellor of the university and held this position until 1989, when he retired. The Allen Austill records are a small but significant set of materials largely relating to Austill's participation at the New School in activities that fell outside of his primary role as dean of the Adult Division, including new program initiatives and the administration of Parsons School of Design in the decade after it became part of the New School. Some documents in this collection are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for further information.

George Calderaro New School Office of Communications records

Creator : Calderaro, George

1975-2005, 17.3 linear feet
This record group consists of video recordings, clippings, printed publicity samples and advertising campaign materials, and topical office files, which include a large number of press releases, created by George Calderaro in his capacity as director of publicity for what is now, in 2019, The New School's Schools of Public Engagement. Calderaro led the New School Communications Office, which was later subsumed into the Marketing and Communications unit, from 1995 until 2005.

Malcolm Carter University Communications records

Creator : Carter, Malcolm

1975-1989 (bulk 1985-1987), 2 linear ft.
Malcolm Carter became director of The New School's university communications in 1985. The Malcolm Carter University Communications records document the three primary areas of activity over which Carter had oversight: advertising and marketing; public relations; and publications. Materials include memoranda, letters, reports, and printed materials, encompassing the range of Carter's activities.
return to top

Institute for Retired Professionals collection

Creator : Institute for Retired Professionals

1967-2012, .4 linear ft.
The Institute for Retired Professionals (IRP) was founded in 1962 by a group of New York City schoolteachers who sought to continue their intellectual development after retirement.The creation of courses and their delivery is entirely member run and depends upon members’ interests. New courses are offered each term. The collection consists mainly of printed matter, such as fliers, publications and course catalogs.

Alvin Saunders Johnson collection

Creator : Johnson, Alvin

1908-1973, 5.4 linear ft
This collection primarily reflects the activities of Alvin Saunders Johnson during his years as director and president emeritus of the New School for Social Research (1946-1971). The files consist of biographical materials, correspondence, subject files, and writings. Because much of Johnson's work as emeritus revolved around fund raising, the correspondence and subject files largely document this activity. Other projects documented here include Johnson's proposal to establish a labor college at the New School (which never came to pass), and launching a Faculty of Retired Professors. The Writings series includes drafts, typescripts, and reprints from University and non-University publications, documenting Johnson's abiding engagement with social issues, in addition to chapter drafts for his autobiography, Pioneer's Progress (published 1952).

Albert Landa records

Creator : Landa, Albert

1933-1985 (bulk 1963-1985), 11 linear feet
Consists of records generated by Albert Landa (1927-2008), who started in 1960 as director of Public Information and became vice president of Development and Public Relations at The New School, and then held the title of Vice President, until he retired in 1985. The records in this collection are notable because Landa was deeply involved in a rapid expansion of the university, overseeing the launch of the Center for New York City Affairs, the merger of Parsons School of Design with The New School, and leading the merger of the Otis Art Institute of Los Angeles with Parsons. The collection is comprised of six series, representing activities related to most of the major divisions and institutes of the university. Materials relate primarily to the development of new programs, building projects, fund raising, and public relations. Some documents in this collection are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for further information.
return to top

Clara Mayer papers

Creator : Mayer, Clara W.

circa 1944-1961, 12.5 linear ft
Clara Woolie Mayer (1895-1988) held a long affiliation with the New School, first as a student, then in a fund raising capacity and as a trustee, followed by a succession of administrative roles, including dean of the School of Philosophy and Liberal Arts (1943-1961) and vice president of the New School for Social Research (1950-1961). Dating largely from 1950 to the early 1960s--during Mayer's term as vice president and dean--the collection consists primarily of subject files pertaining to programs, departments, and members of the New School faculty and administration. Of note is Mayer's correspondence, largely related to teaching and lectures, with well-known figures, including W.E.B. Du Bois, Albert Einstein, Berenice Abbott, Alvin Johnson, John Cage and Erich Fromm. Additionally, there is a wealth of material relating to Mayer's contributions to post-war European relief efforts through the Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe and Foster Parent Plan. Finally, the collection contains typescript writings by Mayer, including articles, speeches, commencement addresses and translations.

Human Relations Center records

Creator : New School

1953-1986 (bulk, 1968-1975), 3 linear feet
The Human Relations Center was a long-running program (1951-circa 1986) at the New School organized by women and directed primarily toward the personal, social and career development of women. At the height of its popularity in the 1970s, as many as three thousand students enrolled in more than seventy-five Human Relations Center courses each semester. The collection consists primarily of materials dating from the 1970s, and includes publicity materials regarding courses, seminars and public programs and materials connected to the partnership with the Head Start program, and special training programs.

Independent study oral history project on New School history

Creator : New School

2013, 4.34 gb
This oral history project consists of six audio interviews conducted by New School for Public Engagement student Gerard O. Hemmerle as an independent study under the supervision of Professor Julia L. Foulkes. Interviewees consist of long-serving university faculty and staff, primarily those associated with what was known as the New School for Public Engagement. Hemmerle conducted the interviews during the Spring 2013 semester. Recordings are all in English.
return to top

New School Adult Division Office of the Dean records

Creator : New School

1959-1986, 20.3 linear ft
These records were created and maintained by the dean's office of what is now the New School for Public Engagement, and formerly known as the Adult Division or, simply the New School. The bulk of the records consists of alphabetically arranged topical files primarily documenting the activities of deans William Birenbaum (served 1961-1964) and Allen Austill (served 1964-1979). Smaller subsets of files document the New School College during the late 1960s and student advising efforts by Herman Eichner and Miriam Fraser Bennee in the 1940s and 1950s. Access is provided to this unprocessed record group, but some files may be restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.

New School Associates records

Creator : New School

1943-1988, 16.25 linear ft
The New School Associates was the first fund raising body associated with the New School for Social Research. Comprised of faculty, former students, school administrators and supporters of the school's aims, the Associates sponsored numerous educational and social events and an annual membership drive. These records represent the administration of the Associates from the mid-1940s through the 1970s. Art exhibition records extend into the 1980s. Files belonging to the Executive Secretary of the New School Associates, Edith Jonas Levy, constitute a significant portion of these records.

New School course catalogs and bulletins

Creator : New School

1919-2014, 29.7 linear ft
This collection consists of course catalogs from The New School, including continuing education courses, Eugene Lang College, the Dramatic Workshop of The New School, New School Art Workshops and the New School for Social Research, formerly known as the Graduate Faculty.
return to top

New School Office of the President records

Creator : New School

1945-2008, 95.7 linear feet
The collection contains correspondence, financial records, handwritten notes, proposals, minutes and reports.

New School Publicity Office records

Creator : New School

1918-1993 (bulk 1945-1965), 21 linear feet
This collection largely documents the activities of the New School Publicity Office during the 1940s and 1950s, and reflects the range of functions and activities of the department under the leadership of Agnes De Lima, who directed the department for two decades. The collection includes notes and draft materials for the production of press releases, articles in the weekly New School Bulletin, advertisements and course promotion, and related administrative materials. Also includes materials related to the organization of art exhibitions and special events, and transcripts of radio announcements and speeches. The Dramatic Workshop, École Libre des Hautes Études and Graduate Faculty series in this collection are especially rich in describing the work of these important New School programs.

New School publicity scrapbook collection

Creator : New School

1918-1953, 32 linear ft
The New School Publicity Scrapbook collection consists of fifty-seven scrapbooks compiled at The New School for internal administrative use between 1919, when The New School was founded, through 1953. The scrapbooks include local, regional and international newspaper articles and editorials, and administrative documents and correspondence, course catalogs--or Bulletins--weekly supplemental pamphlets (also called Bulletins), ephemera, promotional materials for print distribution and radio broadcast, and invitations to New School events. Newspaper clipping content includes political and cultural news of the day as it pertained to people and events affiliated with The New School, New School curricula, notable public speaking engagements at The New School, news about guest lecturers, faculty, students and alumni.
return to top

New School oral history program

Creator : New School Archives and Special Collections

2012-2015, 12.4 gb
The New School Oral History Program, initiated in 2012, consists of recorded sound interviews conducted by Archives and Special Collections staff and faculty partners on an ongoing basis to document aspects of university history that may not exist in other recorded formats. Interviewees consist of New School administrators, faculty, and staff, both current and retired. The conversation topics in the interviews span the twentieth and early twenty-first history, and cover different academic departments and disciplines, university offices, and affiliated institutes. Recordings are all in English.

Parsons School of Design course catalog collection

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1896-2012, 9 linear ft
The Parsons course catalogs collection consists of publications from Parsons New School of Design and its affiliate programs, including catalogs for overseas schools, and continuing education and AAS programs. Catalogs include information regarding pedagogy objectives, school policies and admissions requirements, departmental and course descriptions, faculty and administration rosters, facilities, fees, and examples of student work. Materials for the years 1896-1912 consists primarily of photocopies of print advertisements for the Chase School of Art (which became the New York School of Art, then the New York School of Fine and Applied Art, and, later, Parsons School of Design).

Parsons School of Design marketing and promotional materials collection

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1913-2011, 3.2 linear ft
Printed publicity materials including but not limited to circulars, mailers, promotional booklets and pamphlets, and postcards generally advertising Parsons School of Design, or a particular course or program of study not connected to a specific department. Also includes a 16mm film depicting students at Parsons Paris in 1948.
return to top

Parsons School of Design poster collection (pre-2007)

Creator : Parsons School of Design

1927-2006, 22.3 linear ft
Contains 236 posters created for academic departments and administrative offices of Parsons The New School for Design, including promotional posters for summer sessions and study abroad programs, recruiting by specific departments, and publicity for exhibitions, public programs, and internship fairs. With the exception of a 1927 poster advertising a dance, the series does not contain any material created prior to 1956.

New School-Parsons School of Design Department of Photography Focus Lecture audio recordings

Creator : Parsons School of Design Photography Department

1982-1985, 62 1/4 inch audio cassettes
Offered annually, the Focus workshops and lectures offered an immersive experience to advanced photography students. Lectures In addition to the Fashion Focus workshops, Advertising, Fine Art, and Photojournalism workshops were offered. These workshops were primarily targeted at continuing education students, rather than undergraduates, and predate the formation of the Photography master's degree program at Parsons. This collection consists of audio recordings of 59 presentations representing the Photojournalism and Fashion Focus series. Speakers include photojournalists, fashion photographers, and other professionals whose work relates to the work of photographers.

Maurice Edwards papers documenting the work of graphologist Klara G. Roman

Creator : Roman, Klara G.

1949-1973, 0.3 linear ft
These files were kept by Maurice Edwards in his role as assistant to Klara Roman and as posthumous editor, with Rose Wolfson, of Roman's Encyclopedia of the Written Word. The collection includes one file of publicity and materials documenting other ventures of Edwards, in particular his involvement with the Cubiculo Arts Center.
return to top