Browse the Collections

by Topic : Libraries and archives (3)

Includes: academic libraries; archives; library administration

New School Office of the University Librarian records

Creator : Abel, Reuben

1963-2012, 6.6 linear feet
This collection consists of reports, administrative documents, correspondence, project files, and memos created by the Office of the University Librarian. Although the title "University Librarian" first appears in a 1984 course catalog, earlier New School catalogs from the mid-1970s reference the position of "Library Director" in the upper-level administration. The affiliation of Parsons School of Design with the New School for Social Research in 1970 and the subsequent relocation of Parsons School of Design to Greenwich Village resulted in two separate libraries, the Adam L. Gimbel Design Library (it was not named the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library until 1982) and the Raymond E. Fogelman Library, existing at the institution simultaneously. Mannes College of Music would later joined the New School in 1989.

Eugene Lang College collection

Creator : New School

1985-2016, .4 linear feet
An artificial collection created by the staff of the Raymond Fogelman Library, this collection contains records pertaining to Eugene Lang College.

Parsons School of Design Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library records (pre-2011 accessions)

Creator : Parsons the New School for Design. Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library.

1957-2009, 9.1 linear feet
The records of the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library of Parsons The New School for Design consist of administrative files generated by library administrators and school executives. Topics include library collections, facilities, fund raising, instruction, policies and procedures, and staffing, as well as the library's role in school acceditation. While the earliest records document the library's activities in the late 1950s, the bulk of the records dates from the period after Parsons re-located from East 54th Street to 66 Fifth Avenue in 1972. The earliest mention of a library appears in the 1922-1923 New York School of Fine and Applied Art course catalog. In addition to reference books in English and in French, the library also advertised photographic plates and lantern slides for the study of costume and interior design as well as a materials library. Mary E. Herrick, a "trained librarian," appears on the catalog's faculty page as Librarian and Museum Director. In successive decades, the school advertised the library's growing collections of periodicals, rare books, visual materials, and archival collections in the catalog and continued to list library administrators in the rank of school faculty. In 1970, Parsons School of Design became affiliated with the New School for Social Research and in the following years transferred its operations from its East 54th Street location to 66 Fifth Avenue in Greenwich Village. In 1974, the library moved to its present location on the second floor of 2 West 13th Street, and the previously unnamed library was dedicated as the Adam L. Gimbel Design Library in honor of a gift from the family of the Saks Fifth Avenue executive. In 1982, it was rededicated as the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library following a fundraising initiative headed by Sophie Gimbel's son Jay Rossbach and Saks executive Helen O'Hagan.