+ Expand all text to enable full keyword searching

Guide to the Mannes course catalogs, 1912-2004

Collection Overview

Repository
The New School Archives and Special Collections
Creator
Mannes College The New School for Music.
Title
Mannes course catalogs
Extent
87 items
Summary
Consists of course catalogs with information about the policies, faculties and courses of Mannes The New School for Music. Collection includes a limited number of catalogs focused exclusively on the Preparatory Division, while most cover a broad range of courses.

Return to Top »


Historical Note

Mannes was established in 1916 by David and Clara (Damrosch) Mannes, two leaders in musical education. What began as a community music school was transformed into a college conservatory by their son—a gifted pianist who was also one of the inventors of Kodachrome film. Today, as part of The New School, Mannes continues to evolve to reflect the changing landscape of classical music in the 21st century.

David Mannes was the son of a Polish immigrant baker. Clara Damrosch was the daughter of the eminent conductor Leopold Damrosch, who immigrated to New York from Germany.

David collected and sold bottles and scraps of lead pipe to pay for violin lessons. He began playing violin professionally at age 14, performing everywhere from Coney Island skating rinks to bordellos in the Tenderloin district. Clara enjoyed a private school education; piano, theory, and harmony lessons in Europe; and the acquaintance of her father's international circle of musician friends. (Her family helped establish the New York Philharmonic and pitched the idea of building a concert hall to Andrew Carnegie.)

As a young adult, Clara taught piano. David established a career as a professional musician. They married and became a fixture on New York's music and social scene as an acclaimed piano-violin duo, also performing in England, Canada, and 30 states. David created a concert series at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that became a New York institution in his time and continues to this day.

David Mannes developed an appreciation for music education as he taught poor immigrant students and led a children's string orchestra at the Settlement School of Music in the slums of the Lower East Side. In Harlem, he founded one of the first music schools for black children in honor of John Thomas Douglas, who was one of his violin teachers and the son of a freed slave.

In 1916 David and Clara Mannes established the David Mannes Music School on East 70th Street. Among the first faculty hired was the noted Swiss-born composer and philosopher Ernest Bloch.

Teachers at Mannes in the 1930s and 1940s included the conductor George Szell, the composers Georges Enesco and Bohuslav Martinu, and Hans Weisse, a student of the highly influential German theorist Heinrich Schenker. Weisse's pioneering work at Mannes helped make Mannes the American home of Schenkerian theory.

In 1940, Leopold Mannes, son of David and Clara, left the Kodak research laboratories to become first the director and then the president of Mannes College. In 1953, President Mannes and the school's director, Felix Salzer, obtained a charter from the State of New York. Mannes became a degree-granting college with the mission of preparing talented young musicians to become professional performers and teachers. The name of the institution was changed to the Mannes College of Music.

Salzer organized Mannes' signature curriculum, the Techniques of Music program, which was further developed under the long-term leadership of the noted theorist Carl Schacter, Salzer's student and eventual colleague. During these years, Mannes saw many of its students rise to fame, including Burt Bacharach, Julius Rudel, Eugene Istomin, and George Rochberg. In the 1960s, Richard Goode, Murray Perahia, and Frederica von Stade all graduated from Mannes in the same class. In later years, Semyon Bychkov, Michel Camilo, JoAnn Falletta, Tim Page, Shulamit Ran, Lara St. John, and numerous other alumni went on to achieve prominence.

In 1984, under President Charles Kaufman, Mannes moved to a larger home on West 85th Street. In 1989, Mannes became a division of The New School for Social Research (now called The New School), a progressive university associated with such musical pioneers as Aaron Copland, Henry Cowell, and John Cage. Mannes' name was changed to Mannes College The New School for Music in 2005.

The violinist and theorist Joel Lester, dean of Mannes from 1996 to 2011, began transforming Mannes into a modern conservatory, expanding the faculty and the opera program. Today, under the leadership of Dean Richard Kessler, Mannes is transforming its curriculum to advance the creative role of music in society and develop citizen artists who engage with the world around them through established and emerging forms of practice.

While Mannes continues to grow in reputation and quality, it is still pursuing David and Clara's goal of providing comprehensive music education to people "whose sincere love of music alone prompts them to take up study." Mannes' thriving Preparatory and Extension divisions provide lifelong education in music for people of all ages.

Source: http://www.newschool.edu/mannes/history/

More...

Return to Top »


Scope and Content of Collection

The collection consists of course catalogs with information about the policies, faculties and courses of Mannes The New School for Music.

It is organized into two series:

Series I. General consists of published course catalogs with information about a variety of programs at Mannes, including Preparatory and Extension Divisions, as well as courses for undergraduate credit.

Series II. Preparatory Division consists of catalogs exclusively geared towards the program of the Preparatory Division.

More...

Return to Top »


Organization and Arrangement

  1. General, 1916-2004
  2. Preparatory Division, 1963-1968

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

The New School Archives and Special Collections January 14, 2014

66 Fifth Avenue
lobby
New York, NY, 10011
212.229.5942
archivist@newschool.edu

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research use. Please contact archivist@newschool.edu for appointment.

Use Restrictions

To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives and Special Collections. Please contact: archivist@newschool.edu.

Return to Top »


Collection Inventory

I: General 
Title Box Folder
1916-1917 
1917-1918 
1918-1919 
1919-1920 
1920-1921 
1921-1922 
1922-1923 
1923-1924 
1924-1925 
1925-1926 
1926-1927 
1927-1928 
1928-1929 
1929-1930 
1930-1931 
1931-1932 
1932-1933 
1933-1934 
1934-1935 
1935-1936 
1936-1937 
1937-1938 
1938-1939 
1939-1940 
1940-1941 
1941-1942 
1942-1943 
1943-1944 
1944-1945 
1945-1946 
1946-1947 
1947-1948 
1948-1949 
1949-1950 
1950-1951 
1951-1952 
1952-1953 
1953-1954 
1954-1955 
1955-1956 
1956-1957 
1957-1958 
1958-1959 
1959-1960 
1960-1961 
1961-1962 
1962-1963 
1963-1964 
1964-1965 
1965-1966 
1966-1967 
1967-1968 
1968-1969 
1969-1971 
1971-1972 
1972-1974 
1974-1975 
1975-1976 
1976-1977 
1977-1978 
1978-1979 
1979-1980 
1980-1981 
1981-1982 
1982-1983 
1983-1984 
1984-1985 
1985-1986 
1986-1987 
1987-1988 
1988-1989 
1989-1990 
1990-1991 
1991-1992 
1992-1994 
1994-1995 
1996-1997 
1998-2000 
2000-2002 
2002-2003 
2003-2004 

Return to Top »

II: Preparatory Division 
Title Box Folder
1963-1964 
1964-1965 
1965-1966 
1966-1967 
1968-1969 

Return to Top »

Collection guide Last Updated: 01/14/2014

Copyright © 2010 Kellen Design Archives, The New School. All rights reserved.

Archivist Toolkit at_eadToHTML stylesheet Version 1.01