New School Institutional Collections
The New School Institutional Collections document the rich and wide-ranging activities of the New School from 1919 through today, reflecting the school's position at the crossroads of many of the crucial currents of 20th and 21st century intellectual, cultural, social, political and artistic life. Of note are course catalogs dating back to the founding of most divisions, including those of Parsons and Mannes as independent institutions. Other collections include Joseph Urban's architectural plans for the university's landmarked 12th Street building; course and curriculum development files; scrapbooks, photographs, posters, and promotional materials from many signal as well as lesser known moments in the school's history.
In addition to the collections found here, the papers of a number of the scholars who formed the University in Exile starting in 1933 will be found in the German and Jewish Intellectual ?migr? Collection at the State University of New York at Albany.
Administrative and Other Offices
The New School Associates records
1944-1987, 2.2 linear ft.
The New School Associates were the first fund raising body associated with the university. Comprised of faculty, former students (including Marlon Brando), school administration and supporters of the school's aims, the New School Associates sponsored numerous educational and social events and an annual membership drive. These records represent the administration of the Associates from the mid-1940s to approximately 1960, although some later art exhibition records will be found here as well. Files belonging to the Executive Secretary of the New School Associates, Edith Jonas Levy, constitute much of the record group.
Architectural Plans and Drawings
Originally located in six renovated brownstones on West 21st Street in New York City, the New School for Social Research reopened in 1931 in a newly constructed building at 66 West Twelfth Street. The seven-story structure, designed by architect and theatrical designer Joseph Urban (1872-1933), was the first building in what later became a three-building complex at the site. The 66 West Twelfth Street architectural plans and drawings consist of design and construction drawings documenting Joseph Urban's original building at 66 West Twelfth Street, construction drawings for the expanded campus in the 1950s, and a small number of plans representing other periods of renovation and expansion at the site.
The New School Art Center was established in the fall of 1960 with a donation from the Albert J. List Foundation, and remained in operation until 1973. Directed throughout its existence by Paul Mocsanyi, the Center's programs reflected the New School's founding commitment to engage provocative subjects, using art to explore contemporary political and social issues. Materials in this collection include exhibition catalogs, press coverage, posters, fliers and other publicity, administrative correspondence, and photographs.
Events, lectures and programs
The audio recordings and transcripts in this collection represent three lectures and part of a fourth in a 15-part series on the race crisis in the United States, held in the spring of 1964 at The New School. The speakers in the recordings here include Martin Luther King, Jr., Charles Abrams, Melvin Tumin, and Roy Wilkins. Dr. King opened the conference, and the recording consists only of the question and answer session following his address. Also included are press releases and publicity produced by The New School about the series. Topics discussed range from the impact of school integration, to housing discrimination, affirmative action, the growing Black separatist movement, and motivations for racial prejudice. Links to the digitized audio recordings are provided within the collection guide.
Consists of 166 audiocassette tapes recording conversations between retired investigative journalist Joseph Kahn and reporters, editors, and other media personalities invited to his courses at The New School between 1979 and the early 1990s. Participants include Pete Hamill, Nick Pileggi, Gay Talese, and Murray Kempton, among many others. Frequent guests include Sidney Zion, Liz Smith, and Jack O'Brien.
World Policy Institute records
1986-2007, 2.2 linear ft.
Founded in 1961, the World Policy Institute was affiliated with The New School between 1991 and 2007. Records consist of administrative files created or received by offices within The New School supporting the World Policy Institute's activities. Some files may be closed due to confidentiality. Please consult with an archivist for further detail. More information about the World Policy Institute can be found on its website: http://www.worldpolicy.org/history
Consists of photographs of buildings, students, faculty, and administrators of The New School, and includes documentation of class sessions, student life, and events from 1944 through the 1990s.
The New School publicity scrapbooks consist of 57 scrapbooks compiled by The New School publicity office for administrative use between 1919, when The New School was founded, through 1952. The scrapbooks largely consist of pages of clipped out local, regional and international news articles, editorials, and advertisements. A small group of scrapbooks include press releases and promotional materials for print distribution and radio broadcast, and a small number of reports and promotional materials produced by The New School, including event invitations. Clippings document political and cultural news and activities of guest lecturers, faculty, students and alumni of The New School, as well reports and announcements related to courses, programs, lectures, performances, and exhibitions.
The New School course catalogs
This collection consists of course catalogs from The New School, including continuing education courses, Eugene Lang College, the Dramatic Workshop of The New School, New School Art Workshops and the New School for Social Research, formerly known as the Graduate Faculty.