Archives & Special Collections

Browse the Collections

by Creator

7 creators filed under N

Nesbitt, Esta

Esta Nesbitt fashion illustrations

1944-1964, 23.6 linear ft
Esta Nesbitt (1918-1975), an instructor at Parsons School of Design from 1964 to 1974, created fashion illustrations for such publications as Harper's Bazaar, Mademoiselle, and the New York Times Magazine. Later in her career, Nesbitt employed innovative printing techniques as a children's book illustrator, created performance art pieces, and was one of the earliest to experiment with fine art Xerography. Nesbitt's work in the New School Archives primarily consists of 271 original fashion illustrations, as well as pre-publication layouts, mechanicals, proofs, and tear sheets.

New School

New School marketing and promotional materials

1939-2016, 7.7 linear ft
Printed publicity materials including but not limited to mailers, viewbooks, pamphlets, and postcards generally advertising The New School, or a particular course or program of study.

New School

Architectural plans and drawings for the New School at 66 West Twelfth Street

1924-1986 (bulk 1930-1959), 32 linear ft
Originally located in six renovated brownstones on West 21st Street in New York City, The New School for Social Research reopened in 1931 in a newly constructed building at 66 West Twelfth Street in Greenwich Village. The seven-story structure, designed by architect and theatrical designer Joseph Urban (1872-1933), was the first of what would eventually become a three-building complex at the site. The collection consists of design and construction drawings documenting Joseph Urban's original building at 66 West Twelfth Street, construction drawings for the expanded campus in the 1950s, and a small number of plans representing other periods of renovation and expansion at the site.
return to top

New School

New School School of Media Studies records

1970-2013, 5.8 linear ft
The School of Media Studies began as the Center for Understanding Media. Accredited through Antioch College, the program offered courses through the New School for Social Research. The New School formally absorbed Media Studies in 1975, after a four-year partnership. These records consist of curricula vitae, office files, reports, syllabi, posters and other printed publicity materials, as well as a few objects used for orientations and promotional purposes.

New School

New School Adult Division Office of the Dean records

1959-1986, 20.3 linear ft
These records were created and maintained by the dean's office of what is now the New School for Public Engagement, and formerly known as the Adult Division or, simply the New School. The bulk of the records consists of alphabetically arranged topical files primarily documenting the activities of deans William Birenbaum (served 1961-1964) and Allen Austill (served 1964-1979). Smaller subsets of files document the New School College during the late 1960s and student advising efforts by Herman Eichner and Miriam Fraser Bennee in the 1940s and 1950s. Access is provided to this unprocessed record group, but some files may be restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.

New School

New School for Social Research Office of the Dean records

circa 1955-2015, 17.5 linear ft
These records originate from the New School for Social Research Dean’s Office and its predecessor school, the Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science (in its early years, also referred to as the University in Exile). The records relate to departmental matters, including accreditation, budgeting, curriculum development and faculty affairs. There is correspondence of deans with academic departments within the division, including Anthropology, Economics, Gender Studies, Historical Studies, Master of Arts Liberal Studies (MALS), Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology. Documentation will also be found for centers and institutes supported by the division, including the Center for Studies of Social Change (CSSC), the Schwartz Center for Eonomic Policy Analysis (SCEPA) and the Transregional Center for Democratic Studies (TCDS). Routine business between departmental chairs and deans include curriculum development, faculty appointments, fellowships and program accreditation. Records also document events (1990s-2000s); the Speier Professorship (1990s); and controversies over New School president Bob Kerrey's war record (2001-2003). Some files Some files are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

New School

New School course catalogs and bulletins

1919-2014, 29.7 linear ft
This collection consists of course catalogs from The New School, including continuing education courses, Eugene Lang College, the Dramatic Workshop of The New School, New School Art Workshops and the New School for Social Research, formerly known as the Graduate Faculty.

New School

Schools of Public Engagement Executive Dean's Office records

1976-2014, 17.6
The Schools of Public Engagement was formed in 2011 with the reorganization of the New School for General Studies. As of 2016, the division is comprised of five schools: the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students; the School of Languages; the School of Media Studies; the Milano School of International Affairs, Management, and Urban Policy; and the Creative Writing Program. This collection also contains the records of the World Policy Institute from the period it was affiliated with the New School, from 1991-2008. Dating largely from the 1990s until 2014, the SPE records contain correspondence, memoranda, reports, budget and financial material, and faculty and personnel files relating to the administration and governance of the Schools of Public Engagement and their predecessor programs, departments, and schools.

New School

Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research collection

1933-2011, 12.5 linear ft
The graduate school at the New School was established in 1933 as the Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science. In its early years, the school was often referred to as the University in Exile. The division's name was changed in 2005 to the New School for Social Research (NSSR). This collection comprises a compilation of materials related to the school gathered from a variety of sources by librarians in the Raymond Fogelman Library over a number of years. Materials include documentation of administrative functions, curriculum development, student and faculty research, fund raising and financial aid. Some materials are restricted. Contact archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

New School

Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research minutes

1933-1984, 1.1 linear ft
The Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science, often referred to in its early years as the University in Exile, was established in 1933. This collection consists of minutes from meetings from the time the Graduate Faculty was established through 1968. Minutes of the Executive Faculty Meetings (1933-1968) are bound into four volumes. Some of the unbound minutes duplicate these, but the unbound files also include ancillary materials such as drafts, dissertation defense announcements, calendars, schedules, correspondence, reports and agendas. Also included are General Faculty meeting minutes (1961-1965) and minutes of the Meetings of Officers (1958-1960).

New School

Institute of World Affairs records

1938-1957, 17.5 linear ft
The Institute of World Affairs (IWA) records document the operations of the Institute and its administrators and researchers. The bulk of the materials originate from its founding in 1942 until its redesignation as the Research Division of the New School for Social Research in 1953, and consist of administrative records such as minutes, correspondence, research proposals and reports, contracts, publishing agreements, and budgets; writings in the form of manuscripts, drafts, notes, and published research material; and research project records, including correspondence, memoranda, interviews and questionnaires, study data and analyses, and graphs. The bulk of the material consists of project files, particularly the records from the Leisure-time project (1947-1953), as well as of projects and studies by researchers and administrators associated with the Institute, including Hans Staudinger, Phyllis Poses, Adolph Lowe, Elizabeth Tood, Lewis Lorwin, Henry G. Aubrey, and Alexander Ringer.

New School

Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis working and conference papers (SCEPA)

1996-2007, 1.5 linear ft
This collection contains working papers and other academic papers, printed and typescripts, stemming from the Center for Economic Policy Analysis (CEPA), later known as the Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA) in 2005. The bulk are working papers identified as series 1, 2, and 3. Individual papers in series are numbered, some are revisions.
return to top

New School

Parsons School of Design Centenary oral history project

1994, 13 audiocassettes
The Parsons School of Design Centenary Oral History Project consists of recorded sound interviews with twelve individuals as well as two audio monologues by the project's manager, Martica Sawin. These interviews, all recorded in 1994, cover the history of different academic departments and design disciplines over the course of the twentieth century as experienced by leading former and then-current instructors and administrators. Recordings are all in English.

New School

Parsons School of Design oral history program

1994, 2010-2014, 8.86 gb
This ongoing oral history program documents the lives and work of designers, artists, and others active in the fields of art and design. Interviewees include Parsons alumni, faculty, and professionals without a direct Parsons connection.

New School

Michael Kalil oral history project

2011, 0.1 gb
The Michael Kalil Oral History Project consists of recorded sound interviews with colleagues, collaborators, and friends of interior designer Michael Kalil (1943-1991). Jean Gardner, Karyn Issa Ginsberg, and Marty Speigel discuss Kalil's education, career, and ideas with project archivist Jennifer Larson. Kalil's work—incorporating varied and diverse principles of architecture and philosophy—was considered by many to be revolutionary in the 1970s and 1980s. Recordings are all in English.
return to top

New School

Center for Studies of Social Change (CSSC) working papers

1985-1998, 2.2
This collection is comprised of academic papers, specifically the working papers, numbers 1-237, sponsored by the Center for Studies of Social Change (CSSC) soon after its establishment in 1984 until 1998. The bulk are authored by director Charles Tilly (1984-1995).

New School

Graduate Faculty Political Economy working papers

1988-1994, 1.1 l
This collection consists of working papers, numbered 1-56 (with some gaps in numbering), originating from the Committee on Political Economy of the New School for Social Research. The numbers were assigned by the Committee and follow a rough chronological order. Authors include Thomas I. Palley, David M. Gordon, Willi Semmler, and Alice H. Amsden.

New School

International Center for Migration, Ethnicity, and Citizenship (ICMEC) occasional and working papers

1995-1999, 1.1 linear ft
This collection is comprised of working papers originating from the International Center for Migration, Ethnicity, and Citizenship (ICMEC), described and arranged in the following series: Migration Policy in Global Perspective, Immigrant New York; Occasional Papers; Critical Perspectives on Xenophobia; and Negotiating Differences.
return to top

New School

Janey Program in Latin American Studies working papers

1993-1997, 0.1 linear ft
This collection of academic working papers was produced by the Janey Program in Latin American Studies at The New School, a program supporting Latin American students and scholarship in the field of Latin American studies. Papers are printed and designated by annual or semester series. Authors appear to stem from various departments in the Graduate Faculty, later renamed the New School for Social Research. Includes revisions.

New School

New School Bulletin collection

1927-1971, 1.6 linear ft
The New School's publicity office began issuing the New School Bulletin in 1927. The Bulletins -- sometimes referred to as the "Weekly Bulletin" -- contain announcements about lectures, exhibitions, performances and other campus events, information and updates for selected courses, brief editorial features, and other current news about the school. They were issued inconsistently beginning in 1927, weekly from 1943 to 1961, and thereafter with decreasing frequency before ceasing publication in 1971.

New School

New School mural commission documentation

1931-2010, 1.5 linear ft
The collection consists of documentation about five artists and the works they created for the New School at its flagship building at 66 West 12th Street, and for later additions to the building. The materials here were gathered and produced by the curators of the New School Art Collection. Materials include correspondence, photographs, documentation of restoration efforts, exhibition catalogs, and promotional materials.
return to top

New School

Commencement, convocation and inauguration print materials collection

1945-2016, 2.2 linear ft
Collection consists of printed materials produced for The New School and Parsons School of Design's commencement and convocation ceremonies, as well as presidential inauguration ceremonies for New School presidents, and other milestone events celebrated during convocation and commencement, such as anniversaries of the Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research.

New School

Independent study oral history project on New School history

2013, 4.34 gb
This oral history project consists of six audio interviews conducted by New School for Public Engagement student Gerard O. Hemmerle as an independent study under the supervision of Professor Julia L. Foulkes. Interviewees consist of long-serving university faculty and staff, primarily those associated with what was known as the New School for Public Engagement. Hemmerle conducted the interviews during the Spring 2013 semester. Recordings are all in English.

New School

American Race Crisis lecture series audio recordings

1964, 10 reels
The audio recordings and transcripts in this collection document lectures from a 15-part series on the race crisis in the United States, held in the spring of 1964 at The New School, and organized by New School professor Daniel S. Anthony. The speakers in the recordings include Charles Abrams, Algernon D. Black, Dan W. Dodson, Milton A. Galamison, Martin Luther King, Jr., Louis Lomax, Joseph Monserrat, Melvin Tumin, Robert C. Weaver, and Roy Wilkins. Open to the general public, the lectures were held in the auditorium of the school's flagship building at 66 West 12th Street in Greenwich Village. Topics discussed range from the impact of school integration, housing discrimination, affirmative action, the growing Black separatist movement, and motivations for racial prejudice. Dr. King opened the conference, and recording of his talk consists only of the question and answer session following his address.
return to top

New School

New School Associates records

1943-1988, 16.25 linear ft
The New School Associates was the first fund raising body associated with the New School for Social Research. Comprised of faculty, former students, school administrators and supporters of the school's aims, the Associates sponsored numerous educational and social events and an annual membership drive. These records represent the administration of the Associates from the mid-1940s through the 1970s. Art exhibition records extend into the 1980s. Files belonging to the Executive Secretary of the New School Associates, Edith Jonas Levy, constitute a significant portion of these records.

New School

New School publicity scrapbook collection

1918-1953, 32 linear ft
The New School Publicity Scrapbook collection consists of fifty-seven scrapbooks that were compiled at The New School for internal administrative use between 1919, when The New School was founded, through 1953. The scrapbooks include local, regional and international newspaper articles and editorials, and administrative documents and correspondence, course catalogs--or Bulletins--weekly supplemental pamphlets (also called Bulletins), ephemera, promotional materials for print distribution and radio broadcast, and invitations to New School events. Newspaper clipping content includes political and cultural news of the day as it pertained to people and events affiliated with The New School, New School curricula, notable public speaking engagements at The New School, news about guest lecturers, faculty, students and alumni.

New School

New School Publicity Office records

1918-1993, 21 linear feet
This collection largely documents the activities of the New School Publicity Office during the 1940s and 1950s, and reflects the range of functions and activities of the department under the leadership of Agnes De Lima, who directed the department for two decades. The collection includes notes and draft materials for the production of press releases, articles in the weekly New School Bulletin, advertisements and course promotion, and related administrative materials. Also includes materials related to the organization of art exhibitions and special events, and transcripts of radio announcements and speeches. The Dramatic Workshop, École Libre des Hautes Études and Graduate Faculty series in this collection are especially rich in describing the work of these important New School programs.
return to top

New School Archives and Special Collections

Fashion look books and merchandising collection

1960s-2001, 4.4 linear ft
Contains printed and moving image publicity materials produced for late twentieth century fashion designers. Predominant designers include: Calvin Klein, Donna Karan (DKNY), Joseph Abboud, Pierre Balmain, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger. Also contains printed materials produced for Parsons School of Design alumni Anna Sui, Badgley Mischka, Isaac Mizrahi, Marc Jacobs, Narcisco Rodriguez, Peter Speliopoulus, and Bruce (Daphne Gutierrez and Nicole Noselli).

New School Archives and Special Collections

Designer files collection

circa 1994-2008, 3.2 linear ft
The Designer files collection was assembled by Kellen Design Archives staff between approximately 1994 and 2008 from a variety of sources (on occasion new files continue to be added). Subjects are typically Parsons School of Design graduates, visiting critics, lecturers or faculty. Folder contents may include clippings, work samples, ephemera, slides, and such printed materials as business cards, postcards, and pamphlets. Information about the designers in these files ranges from as little as one item to multiple folders. For each letter of the alphabet, general folders contain information about multiple designers by last name or common business name.

New School Archives and Special Collections

New School oral history program

2012-2015, 12.4 gb
The New School Oral History Program, initiated in 2012, consists of recorded sound interviews conducted by Archives and Special Collections staff and faculty partners on an ongoing basis to document aspects of university history that may not exist in other recorded formats. Interviewees consist of New School administrators, faculty, and staff, both current and retired. The conversation topics in the interviews span the twentieth and early twenty-first history, and cover different academic departments and disciplines, university offices, and affiliated institutes. Recordings are all in English.
return to top

New School Archives and Special Collections

Collection of prints by eighteen British artists of the 1960s and 1970s

1966-1979, 6 linear ft
The collection consists of work by eighteen artists who worked in the printmaking medium in Great Britain during the 1960s and '70s. All works are prints on paper and most are completely or largely abstract. The majority are screen prints, although there are also lithographs and intaglios. Many are characterized by bold blocks of color and exhibit a Pop influence. It is not known whether the works in this collection were all printed in the same studio, nor are the circumstances known under which they were donated to the Kellen Design Archives. However, many of the artists in the collection are of the same generation, knew one another, and many are frequently exhibited together. All were members of a thriving art scene in Great Britain during the 1960s and '70s, at a time when screen printing was gaining increasing acceptance as a technique for creating works of fine art, after having long been used primarily for producing commercial graphics. Includes work by David Annesley, Patrick Caulfield, Pierre Celice, Bernard Cohen, Elisabeth Frink, Patrick Heron, Gordon House, John Hoyland, Patrick Hughes, Liliane Lijn, Kim Lim, Kenneth Martin, Nicholas Monro, Tom Phillips, Patrick Procktor, William Scott, Colin Self, and William Turnbull.

New School Archives and Special Collections

Parsons Table research files

1923-2006, 0.4 linear ft
The Parsons Table research files consist primarily of work conducted and assembled by the director and staff of the New School Archives in 2002 to support a Parsons School of Design's Design and Management Department project in which students would construct and market a version of the Parsons Table. Archives staff prepared a questionnaire for alumni to gather information about the origins of the table and its design. Several responses include sketches of the table. While furnishing no conclusive evidence, these files will be useful to researchers investigating the history of the table, its relationship to the school, and the stories that have been told about it.

New School Archives and Special Collections

New York School of Art reference index (1896-1912)

1996-2006, 1.1 linear ft
Compiled by the Kellen Archives staff between 1996 and 2006, this index lists publications that discuss the New York School of Art, which later became Parsons School of Design, and artists associated with the school either as students or instructors between the time of its founding in 1896 until 1912. Photocopies of the relevant pages from the indexed publications are available upon request.
return to top

New School Archives and Special Collections

New School photograph collection

1920s-1990s, 9 linear ft
This collection primarily consists of photographs of New School students, faculty, administrators, buildings, class sessions, student life, and events. While the photographs span the period between 1933 and 1984, most of the photographs are concentrated between the 1940s and the 1970s.

New School Archives and Special Collections

Exhibitions and public programs collection

1964-2011, 5.6 linear ft
Contains printed materials related to exhibitions and public programs, such as lectures, readings and conferences, held at, sponsored by, or produced in cooperation with The New School and its divisions and departments, including the Vera List Center and the Sheila Johnson Design Center. Materials include catalogs, invitations, and announcements. For student and faculty exhibitions sponsored by specific academic departments at Parsons School of Design, see relevant records of Parsons School of Design Academic Departments, Programs and Schools.

New School Archives and Special Collections

New School periodicals collection

1940-2008, 3.8 linear ft
Contains periodicals and serial publications produced by administrative offices and academic departments of Parsons School of Design, and The New School of which Parsons has been an affiliate since 1970. Periodicals here were primarily produced from the 1970s through 2008, the majority of titles representing short run and one-off publications.
return to top

New School Art Center

New School Art Center records

1956-1975, 6 linear ft
The New School Art Center was established in the fall of 1960 with a donation from the Albert J. List Foundation, and remained in operation until around 1977. Directed throughout its existence by Paul Mocsanyi, the Center's programs reflected the New School's founding commitment to engage provocative subjects, using art to explore contemporary political and social issues. Mocsanyi's files also document the founding of the Collectors Institute, a membership organization for private collectors established in 1973. Materials include exhibition catalogs, artist files, press coverage, posters, fliers and other publicity, administrative correspondence, and photographs, as well as the files of Paul Mocsanyi.

New School Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program

New School Creative Writing (MFA) Program theses

1998-2011, 23.1 linear ft
This record group is comprised of theses in print and electronic formats submitted to the MFA Writing Program as part of graduation requirements. The program's four concentrations -- fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and writing for children -- are represented. Many of the theses consist of two parts, a work reflecting the student's concentration and a "literature project" for which the student conducted scholarly, analytical research.

Norell, Norman

Norman Norell collection

1941-1974, 13 linear ft
Norman Norell (1900-1972) was the first American fashion designer to compete successfully with French couture. In 1943, he received the first Coty American Fashion Critics Award, and in 1956 he was inducted into the Coty Hall of Fame. Norell served as a visiting critic at Parsons School of Design from 1943 to 1972. The collection includes awards, biographical material, clippings, fashion sketches, photographs, publicity scrapbooks, and five examples of Norell's clothing.
return to top