Archives & Special Collections

Browse the Collections

by Title

21 collections are filed under N

New School Adult Division Office of the Dean records

Creator : New School

1959-1986, 20.3 linear ft
These records were created and maintained by the dean's office of what is now the New School for Public Engagement, and formerly known as the Adult Division or, simply the New School. The bulk of the records consists of alphabetically arranged topical files primarily documenting the activities of deans William Birenbaum (served 1961-1964) and Allen Austill (served 1964-1979). Smaller subsets of files document the New School College during the late 1960s and student advising efforts by Herman Eichner and Miriam Fraser Bennee in the 1940s and 1950s. Access is provided to this unprocessed record group, but some files may be restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.

New School Architectural plans and drawings for 66 West Twelfth Street

Creator : New School

1924-1986 (bulk 1930-1959), 32 linear ft
Originally located in six renovated brownstones on West 21st Street in New York City, The New School for Social Research reopened in 1931 in a newly constructed building at 66 West Twelfth Street in Greenwich Village. The seven-story structure, designed by architect and theatrical designer Joseph Urban (1872-1933), was the first of what would eventually become a three-building complex at the site. The collection consists of design and construction drawings documenting Joseph Urban's original building at 66 West Twelfth Street, construction drawings for the expanded campus in the 1950s, and a small number of plans representing other periods of renovation and expansion at the site.

New School Art Center records

Creator : New School Art Center

1956-1975, 6 linear ft
The New School Art Center was established in the fall of 1960 with a donation from the Albert J. List Foundation, and remained in operation until around 1977. Directed throughout its existence by Paul Mocsanyi, the Center's programs reflected the New School's founding commitment to engage provocative subjects, using art to explore contemporary political and social issues. Mocsanyi's files also document the founding of the Collectors Institute, a membership organization for private collectors established in 1973. Materials include exhibition catalogs, artist files, press coverage, posters, fliers and other publicity, administrative correspondence, and photographs, as well as the files of Paul Mocsanyi.
return to top

New School Art Collection records

Creator : The New School Art Collection

1987-2003, 3.8 linear ft
The collection consists primarily of the files of Kathleen Goncharov, curator of the New School Art Collection from 1987 to 2000. Some committee files here were created in 1986 and a few files date from after 2000. Those files dating after the summer of 2000 were likely not created by Goncharov; they may have been created by her successor, Stefano Basilico. There are two main series, Administration and governance, and Programming. The first series contains materials related to New School Art Collection policies and committees, the acquisition and sale of artwork, inventories and installation of work, collaborations with the Vera List Center for Art and Politics, grant proposals, and other administrative files. The series also includes files related to special programs and events from around the New School. The Programming series contains documentation of events, talks, exhibitions and public programs initiated and organized by Goncharov at the New School. The series also includes documentation of activities proposed by Goncharov and Sondra Farganis for the DIAL (Distance Instruction for Adult Learning) platform.

New School Associates records

Creator : New School

1943-1988, 16.25 linear ft
The New School Associates was the first fund raising body associated with the New School for Social Research. Comprised of faculty, former students, school administrators and supporters of the school's aims, the Associates sponsored numerous educational and social events and an annual membership drive. These records represent the administration of the Associates from the mid-1940s through the 1970s. Art exhibition records extend into the 1980s. Files belonging to the Executive Secretary of the New School Associates, Edith Jonas Levy, constitute a significant portion of these records.

New School Bulletin collection

Creator : New School

1927-1971, 1.6 linear ft
The New School's publicity office began issuing the New School Bulletin in 1927. The Bulletins -- sometimes referred to as the "Weekly Bulletin" -- contain announcements about lectures, exhibitions, performances and other campus events, information and updates for selected courses, brief editorial features, and other current news about the school. They were issued inconsistently beginning in 1927, weekly from 1943 to 1961, and thereafter with decreasing frequency before ceasing publication in 1971.
return to top

New School course catalogs and bulletins

Creator : New School

1919-2014, 29.7 linear ft
This collection consists of course catalogs from The New School, including continuing education courses, Eugene Lang College, the Dramatic Workshop of The New School, New School Art Workshops and the New School for Social Research, formerly known as the Graduate Faculty.

New School Creative Writing (MFA) Program theses

Creator : New School Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program

1998-2011, 23.1 linear ft
This record group is comprised of theses in print and electronic formats submitted to the MFA Writing Program as part of graduation requirements. The program's four concentrations -- fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and writing for children -- are represented. Many of the theses consist of two parts, a work reflecting the student's concentration and a "literature project" for which the student conducted scholarly, analytical research.

New School Development and Public Relations Office records

Creator : New School

1926-1967 (bulk 1946-1960), 6.6 linear feet
The collection consists of records originating from the offices of Mary Urban, who coordinated fund raising and public relations efforts at the New School in the 1940s and early 1950s, and that of her successor, Margarete Westmann, director of Development from 1958-1962. Materials include memoranda and correspondence, financial statements, budgets, advertising contracts, donor and prospect records, New School Associates membership records, event planning materials and invitations, fund raising appeals, minutes, reports, promotional materials, and records documenting the work of the Scholarship Committee and the Graduate Faculty Alumni Association. Part of one file is restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.
return to top

New School for Social Research Office of the Dean records

Creator : New School

circa 1955-2015, 17.5 linear ft
These records originate from the New School for Social Research Dean’s Office and its predecessor school, the Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science (in its early years, also referred to as the University in Exile). The records relate to departmental matters, including accreditation, budgeting, curriculum development and faculty affairs. There is correspondence of deans with academic departments within the division, including Anthropology, Economics, Gender Studies, Historical Studies, Master of Arts Liberal Studies (MALS), Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology. Documentation will also be found for centers and institutes supported by the division, including the Center for Studies of Social Change (CSSC), the Schwartz Center for Eonomic Policy Analysis (SCEPA) and the Transregional Center for Democratic Studies (TCDS). Routine business between departmental chairs and deans include curriculum development, faculty appointments, fellowships and program accreditation. Records also document events (1990s-2000s); the Speier Professorship (1990s); and controversies over New School president Bob Kerrey's war record (2001-2003). Some files Some files are restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.

New School Gender Studies minor program records

Creator : Eugene Lang College

2006-2016 (bulk 2010-2013), 1 linear foot
This collection consists of records of the undergraduate gender studies minor program at The New School, covering roughly the time the gender studies minor was discussed in committee at the university in 2006 to the end of Miriam Ticktin’s directorship in 2014, the last year comprehensively documented. The bulk of the files document the program under the direction of Ann Snitow (2009-2012).

New School marketing and promotional materials

Creator : New School

1939-2016, 7.7 linear ft
Printed publicity materials including but not limited to mailers, viewbooks, pamphlets, and postcards generally advertising The New School, or a particular course or program of study.
return to top

New School mural commission documentation

Creator : New School

1931-2010, 1.5 linear ft
The collection consists of documentation about five artists and the works they created for the New School at its flagship building at 66 West 12th Street, and for later additions to the building. The materials here were gathered and produced by the curators of the New School Art Collection. Materials include correspondence, photographs, documentation of restoration efforts, exhibition catalogs, and promotional materials.

New School Online records

Creator : New School

1992-2008, 4.4 linear feet
The New School Online records document the university's office devoted to developing and supporting online education. The files in this record group cover the second year of its existence as the Distance Instruction for Adult Learning (DIAL) program through 2008. The unit has also been called Distance Learning and is known as Global and Distributed Education as of 2017. Collection is restricted. Please email archivist@newschool.edu for details.

New School oral history program

Creator : New School Archives and Special Collections

2012-2015, 12.4 gb
The New School Oral History Program, initiated in 2012, consists of recorded sound interviews conducted by Archives and Special Collections staff and faculty partners on an ongoing basis to document aspects of university history that may not exist in other recorded formats. Interviewees consist of New School administrators, faculty, and staff, both current and retired. The conversation topics in the interviews span the twentieth and early twenty-first history, and cover different academic departments and disciplines, university offices, and affiliated institutes. Recordings are all in English.
return to top

New School Publicity Office records

Creator : New School

1918-1993 (bulk 1945-1965), 21 linear feet
This collection largely documents the activities of the New School Publicity Office during the 1940s and 1950s, and reflects the range of functions and activities of the department under the leadership of Agnes De Lima, who directed the department for two decades. The collection includes notes and draft materials for the production of press releases, articles in the weekly New School Bulletin, advertisements and course promotion, and related administrative materials. Also includes materials related to the organization of art exhibitions and special events, and transcripts of radio announcements and speeches. The Dramatic Workshop, École Libre des Hautes Études and Graduate Faculty series in this collection are especially rich in describing the work of these important New School programs.

New School publicity scrapbook collection

Creator : New School

1918-1953, 32 linear ft
The New School Publicity Scrapbook collection consists of fifty-seven scrapbooks compiled at The New School for internal administrative use between 1919, when The New School was founded, through 1953. The scrapbooks include local, regional and international newspaper articles and editorials, and administrative documents and correspondence, course catalogs--or Bulletins--weekly supplemental pamphlets (also called Bulletins), ephemera, promotional materials for print distribution and radio broadcast, and invitations to New School events. Newspaper clipping content includes political and cultural news of the day as it pertained to people and events affiliated with The New School, New School curricula, notable public speaking engagements at The New School, news about guest lecturers, faculty, students and alumni.

New School School of Media Studies records

Creator : New School

1970-2013, 5.8 linear ft
The School of Media Studies began as the Center for Understanding Media. Accredited through Antioch College, the program offered courses through the New School for Social Research. The New School formally absorbed Media Studies in 1975, after a four-year partnership. These records consist of curricula vitae, office files, reports, syllabi, posters and other printed publicity materials, as well as a few objects used for orientations and promotional purposes.
return to top

New York School of Art reference index (1896-1912)

Creator : New School Archives and Special Collections

1996-2006, 1.1 linear ft
Compiled by the Kellen Archives staff between 1996 and 2006, this index lists publications that discuss the New York School of Art, which later became Parsons School of Design, and artists associated with the school either as students or instructors between the time of its founding in 1896 until 1912. Photocopies of the relevant pages from the indexed publications are available upon request.

No Longer in Exile: The Legacy and Future of Gender Studies at the New School recordings

Creator : Eugene Lang College

2010 Mar 26-27, 27.1 gb
No Longer in Exile: The Legacy and Future of Gender Studies at the New School was a two-day conference held in 2010 in celebration of the re-establishment of a gender studies program at The New School university. Faculty, staff, undergraduate and graduate-level students and invited guest speakers discussed topics relevant to the discipline's past, present and future. This collection consists of the video files recorded during the conference.

Norman Norell collection

Creator : Norell, Norman

1941-1974, 13 linear ft
Norman Norell (1900-1972) was the first American fashion designer to compete successfully with French couture. In 1943, he received the first Coty American Fashion Critics Award, and in 1956 he was inducted into the Coty Hall of Fame. Norell served as a visiting critic at Parsons School of Design from 1943 to 1972. The collection includes awards, biographical material, clippings, fashion sketches, photographs, publicity scrapbooks, and five examples of Norell's clothing.
return to top